What you'll learn
The key to embedding any new structural analysis technique is implementing your solution strategies on unfamiliar structures. One of the most frequent requests I receive from my civil engineering students is for more worked examples. In this course – we’ll put the skills you’ve already learned into practice on 5 challenge questions. The questions are designed to sharpen your understanding of the moment distribution method.
The focus is on 2-dimensional structural frames. We’ll cover both sway and non-sway frames – the emphasis is on analysing structures you’re likely to come across as a civil or structural engineer. While I won’t delve too deep into the derivation of solution methodologies (to avoid repetition), I will still explain the logic behind each step taken in the solution process. If you’ve come across these analysis techniques during your studies – this course would be a sensible addition to your reference library.
The course is developed around the concept of problem based learning. To get the most out of the course you should attempt a question and iterate on your solution until you converge on the correct one. This way you learn by working your way through each problem – hence the name problem based learning. Only at the end should you watch the accompanying video to check the reasoning behind your solution.
Completing this Moment Distribution Method Analysis Bootcamp course is a great way to wrap up your study of indeterminate structures, leaving you well placed to analyse the types of structures seen in everyday life as a civil or structural engineer.
Who this course is for
- Engineering students who need to know how to analyse more complex structures without resorting to computer analysis, e.g. continuous beams and sub-frames.
- Students tired of being limited to analysis of statically determinate structures.
- Students who want to analyse structural frames to facilitate design; e.g. reinforced concrete subframe analysis.
- Students who have completed by ‘Indeterminate Structures & The Moment Distribution Method’ course.
Course Completion Certificate
- Download your personalised Certificate of Completion once you’ve finished all course lectures.
- Applying for jobs? Use your Certificate of Completion to show prospective employers what you’ve been doing to improve your capabilities.
- Independently completing an online course is an achievement. Let people know about it by posting your Certificate of Completion on your Linkedin profile or workplace CPD portfolio.
Lecture 2: Question 1 - The distribution
Lecture 3: Question 1 - Free body diagrams
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely. Even if you watched the full course, if you’re not satisfied, contact me in the first 30 days and I will give you a full refund, no questions asked. It would be helpful if you could tell me how I can improve the course for other students.