Where to start?
ALL ACCESS MEMBERSHIP
Your membership includes…
- Over 781 lectures & over 152 hours of HD video content.
- 🛠️ Unlimited access to online structural analysis toolboxes.
- 🧪 Access to DegreeTutors:Labs member’s hub.
- 🏗️ Packed development roadmap of courses & tools
- Hundreds of downloadable files, 3D models and Jupyter Notebooks (Python codes)
- Unlimited streaming of all current and future courses.
- Access all downloads, pdf guides & Jupyter notebooks.
- Course completion certificates.
- Priority Q&A support.
PRACTICAL PYTHON FOR ENGINEERS
Simulating crowd vibrations using the Duhamel Integral
In this Python mini-project, you’ll learn about the Duhamel Integral and how it can be used to simulate the dynamic response of a single degree of freedom system. We’ll discuss how to solve the integral and then write some Python code to implement our solution for any arbitrary loading. In the second half of this project, we’re going to use our Duhamel Integral solver to build a crowd loading simulation. This will allow us to simulate the vibration response of a footbridge to pedestrian traffic.
Building a Beam Deflection Calculator in Python
In this project, we’ll build a beam deflection calculator that can generate beam deflections by directly integrating the bending moment diagram. The technique we’ll use for calculating deflection in this project is not limited to statically determinate structures, although you will need a complete bending moment diagram to integrate. This project builds on our previous Shear Force and Bending Moment Calculator project. So at the end of this project, the final result will be a complete beam analysis code that calculates beam reactions, shear forces, bending moments and deflections.
Building a Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagram Calculator in Python
In this project we’re going to build a Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagram calculator using Python in the Jupyter Notebook development environment. Generating the shear force and bending moment diagram for a simple beam with anything other than basic loading can be a tedious and time-consuming process. Once you finish this project, you’ll have a calculator that can produce shear force and bending moment diagrams at the push of a button.
JOIN OVER 15,000 LEARNERS
Fundamentals of Reinforced Concrete Design to Eurocode 2
An introduction to ultimate limit state design for bending and shear
After completing this course…
- You will be able to determine design actions using the Eurocodes Basis of Structural Design (EC0) and Actions on Structures (EC1).
- You will understand balanced section design and how to analyse and safely design singly and doubly reinforced concrete sections.
- You will understand how to apply the Variable Strut Inclination Method for shear reinforcement design.
- You will have developed your own reinforced concrete design codes in Python (the Python pathway is optional in this course).
Modelling and Analysis of Non-linear Cablenet Structures using Python and Blender
Learn how to combine parametric modelling, exploratory form-finding and iterative analysis techniques to simulate the behaviour of tensile structures.
- You will understand how the behaviour of lightweight tensile structures leads to geometric non-linearity.
- You will be able to apply an iterative Newton-Raphson technique to solve for the non-linear behaviour of 3D cablenet structures.
- You will be able to apply parametric modelling and simulation-based form finding techniques to generate cablenet geometry.
- You will have developed a complete modelling, analysis and visualisation workflow for exploring these elegant yet complex structures.
Non-linear finite element analysis of 2D catenary & cable structures using Python
Build an iterative solution toolbox to analyse structures that exhibit geometric non-linearity due to large deflections.
- You will understand the concept of geometric non-linearity and when it should be considered.
- You will understand how to modify the axially loaded element stiffness matrix to account for large deflections and changes in geometry.
- You will have implemented a Newton-Raphson iterative solution algorithm that seeks to converge on the deformed state of the structure.
- You will have a workflow that leverages open-source modelling tools in Blender to quickly generate the initial structural geometry.
Multi-Degree of Freedom Dynamics, Modal Analysis and Seismic Response Simulation in Python
Build the knowledge and tools to decode the dynamic response of real-world structures to real-world loads.
After completing this course…
- You will have a deep understanding of the solution strategies employed for linear and non-linear MDoF analysis.
- You will be able to model the influence of earthquake-induced ground motion and other dynamic loads on multi-storey structures.
- You will develop numerical tools to solve the coupled equations of motion.
- You will understand the role of modal decomposition in uncoupling the equations of motion and identifying the underlying dynamic characteristics of multi-degree of freedom systems.
Hi, I’m Seán, the founder and lead tutor at DegreeTutors.com. Before turning all my attention to DegreeTutors, I spent 10 years teaching students about engineering analysis and design at the University of Exeter, Warwick University and The University of Nottingham. I’m a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
DegreeTutors is designed to support students and construction industry professionals to enhance their engineering analysis and design skills. Whether you want to sharpen up on the basics of constructing shear and moment diagrams or want to better understand how to analyse complex, indeterminate structures (with or without a computer), by taking courses with me on DegreeTutors, you’ll build the knowledge and skills you need.
If you’re interested in leveraging the power of Python programming to supercharge your analysis and design, then this is also the place for you…whether you’re brand new to programming or already proficient.
Dr Seán Carroll B.Eng (Hons), M.Sc, Ph.D, CEng MIEI, FHEA
Founder of DegreeTutors.com