NEW COURSE - COMING SOON
Modelling and Analysis of Non-linear Cablenet Structures using Python and Blender
Learn how to combine parametric modelling, exploratory form-finding and iterative analysis techniques to simulate the behaviour of tensile structures.
- You will understand how the behaviour of lightweight tensile structures leads to geometric non-linearity.
- You will be able to apply an iterative Newton-Raphson technique to solve for the non-linear behaviour of 3D cablenet structures.
- You will be able to apply parametric modelling and simulation-based form finding techniques to generate cablenet geometry.
- You will have developed a complete modelling, analysis and visualisation workflow for exploring these elegant yet complex structures.
ALL ACCESS MEMBERSHIP
Your membership includes…
- Over 700 lectures & over 130 hours of HD video content.
- 🛠️ Unlimited access to online structural analysis toolboxes.
- 🧪 Access to DegreeTutors:Labs member’s hub.
- 🏗️ Packed development roadmap of courses & tools
- Hundreds of downloadable files, 3D models and Jupyter Notebooks (Python codes)
- Unlimited streaming of all current and future courses.
- Access all downloads, pdf guides & Jupyter notebooks.
- Course completion certificates.
- Priority Q&A support.
PRACTICAL PYTHON FOR ENGINEERS
In this Python mini-project, you’ll learn about the Duhamel Integral and how it can be used to simulate the dynamic response of a single degree of freedom system. We’ll discuss how to solve the integral and then write some Python code to implement our solution for any arbitrary loading. In the second half of this project, we’re going to use our Duhamel Integral solver to build a crowd loading simulation. This will allow us to simulate the vibration response of a footbridge to pedestrian traffic.
In this project, we’ll build a beam deflection calculator that can generate beam deflections by directly integrating the bending moment diagram. The technique we’ll use for calculating deflection in this project is not limited to statically determinate structures, although you will need a complete bending moment diagram to integrate. This project builds on our previous Shear Force and Bending Moment Calculator project. So at the end of this project, the final result will be a complete beam analysis code that calculates beam reactions, shear forces, bending moments and deflections.
In this project we’re going to build a Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagram calculator using Python in the Jupyter Notebook development environment. Generating the shear force and bending moment diagram for a simple beam with anything other than basic loading can be a tedious and time-consuming process. Once you finish this project, you’ll have a calculator that can produce shear force and bending moment diagrams at the push of a button.
JOIN OVER 10,000 LEARNERS
Non-linear finite element analysis of 2D catenary & cable structures using Python
Build an iterative solution toolbox to analyse structures that exhibit geometric non-linearity due to large deflections.
- You will understand the concept of geometric non-linearity and when it should be considered.
- You will understand how to modify the axially loaded element stiffness matrix to account for large deflections and changes in geometry.
- You will have implemented a Newton-Raphson iterative solution algorithm that seeks to converge on the deformed state of the structure.
- You will have a workflow that leverages open-source modelling tools in Blender to quickly generate the initial structural geometry.
Multi-Degree of Freedom Dynamics, Modal Analysis and Seismic Response Simulation in Python
Build the knowledge and tools to decode the dynamic response of real-world structures to real-world loads.
After completing this course…
- You will have a deep understanding of the solution strategies employed for linear and non-linear MDoF analysis.
- You will be able to model the influence of earthquake-induced ground motion and other dynamic loads on multi-storey structures.
- You will develop numerical tools to solve the coupled equations of motion.
- You will understand the role of modal decomposition in uncoupling the equations of motion and identifying the underlying dynamic characteristics of multi-degree of freedom systems.
Finite Element Analysis of Continuum Structures in Python
Use the Isoparametric Finite Element Method to build an analysis tool for 2D structures in Python.
After completing this course…
- You will have the tools to analyse continuum structures using your own Isoparameteric Finite element Python code, developed from the ground up.
- You will understand how the plane stress and plane strain approximations allow us to analyse 3D structures accurately with 2D planar models.
- You will be able to use open source tools to generate structural models and mesh data that can be analysed with your FE code.
Finite Element Analysis of 3D Structures using Python
Build your own complete 3D structural analysis software in Python using the Direct Stiffness Method
After completing this course…
- You’ll understand how to expand the direct stiffness method to full 12 degree of freedom beam elements in 3D space.
- You’ll have developed a complete 3D finite element analysis solver to simulate structures consisting of beam and axially loaded bar elements.
- You’ll have the skills to efficiently build detailed structural models in Blender and export these for analysis in your own Python solver.
Hi, I’m Seán, the founder and lead tutor at DegreeTutors.com. I’m also a senior lecturer in Structural Engineering at the University of Exeter, a leading UK university. I’m a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. DegreeTutors is designed to support students and construction industry professionals in enhancing their engineering analysis and design capabilities.
Whether you want to sharpen up on the basics of constructing shear and moment diagrams or want to better understand how to analyse complex indeterminate structures (with or without a computer), by taking courses with me on DegreeTutors you’ll build the knowledge and skills you need.
Dr Seán Carroll B.Eng (Hons), M.Sc, Ph.D, CEng MIEI, FHEA
Founder of DegreeTutors.com